Smoke and Soot
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Sunland/Tujunga will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – (818)365-3736
SERVPRO residential or commercial
SERVPRO is ready for any disaster that strikes. Your business is as important to us like it is to you. Our number one goal as a restoration company is to you get your business back to its original setting and act like the water/fire damage never even happened. We are here to restore your business and restore the lives of your customers as well. Water, fire, mold, soot/ash, toilet overflow, whatever you can think of, SERVPRO will make it "Like it never even happened." We do not just have that as our motto, we live up to and will work side by side with you to restore anything that happened to your business, and that is a promise. Call us at 818-365-3736 if anything takes place at your business, our crews can take down anything that comes their ways.
Mold is dangerous, yet something that can be taken care of instantly. Coming across mold at a property isn't fun, but if you do the right thing fast there should be nothing to worry about. SERVPRO has trained mold remediation technicians that are ready to tackle down anything.
Spotting mold can be frustrating and can be confusing at times, but here is a basic list of what mold is and should SERVPRO help you with any current and future mold issues.
- Mold can be found anywhere, as long as there is moisture mold has the chance to grow.
- Mold can grow on drywall, wood studs, carpets, food, paper, and even on insulation. Mold is reproduced through spores and when mold spores land on wet areas in the house that is when it starts to grow. That spore digests whatever damp item it lands on and it grows in order for it to survive. Once that mold fungus is in contact with moisture bacteria is created and then mold starts to grow within days.
- When extra moisture accumulates in an area or specifically on a material, mold will start to form and grow. If there is constant moisture in an area, hence the bathroom and the kitchen always make sure that after your steamy hot shower you wipe everything down. Wipe your walls and mirror in the bathroom with a dry towel to prevent from constant moisture being left on the materials in the bathroom after a shower. When washing dishes or using excess water in the Kitchen make sure everything is wiped down dry to avoid mold spores to be created and have mold grow.
- Mold spores are not visible to the naked eye, you will not be able to spot them until they you see them in the form of mold. Be extra cautious to the rooms and materials being in contact with moisture on a daily basis.
- Prior to mold being visible to the naked eye, you may be smelling a musty or earthy smell. When this occurs immediately contact SERVPRO, and we will have our mold crew come out and inspect your property for these first signs of mold. Do not ignore signs like smell, you can be able to prevent the mold from growing more.
- Mold can appear on the outside of the walls as a stain or discoloration and come in a fuzzy form, when you spot these signs of mold SERVPRO will remove the growing mold spores and return the area back to the normal levels where there is no mold spores near.
- Everyone is aware that all molds, weather green or black, have the potential to cause health effects.
- When the mold remediation technicians of SERVPRO are eliminating the mold growth it is done under a properly built containment where it is sealed and does not have access to spread mold spores into other unaffected areas. After SERVPRO are complete with the mold remediation, an Industrial Hygienist will schedule to confirm that mold is no longer present. They will be taking a count of spore to confirm to us SERVPRO and the homeowners that mold is no longer present.
- Mold growth can be controlled indoors by controlling the moisture by wiping down dry to not let dampness sit on materials.
- The reason behind mold remediation is to remove the mold that is present at the property so we can prevent human contact and damage to the building materials.
If you suspect mold at your property, feel free to call SERVPRO at (818) 365-3736 and get connected to one of our highly trained mold remediation technicians.
Tree on the house
Since we are locally owned and operated, we are able to respond quicker with the right resources, which is extremely important. A fast response lessens the damage, limits further damage, and reduces the restoration cost.
Resources to Handle Floods and Storms
When storms hit the Van Nuys area , we can scale our resources to handle a large storm or flooding disaster. We can access equipment and personnel from a network of 1,650 Franchises across the country and elite Disaster Recovery Teams that are strategically located throughout the United States.
In this picture a tree has been uprooted and came down crashing on this home. This already caused a lot of damage to the home from the outside but more importantly is what it does to the inside of the home. SERVPRO was there to help with the tree removal and tarping of the roof to keep any debris from coming into the home. SERVPRO also went into the home and did all the necessary clean up and debris removal to keep this family safe and keep the home clean and livable.
All the ways to get a water damage
Water damages are so easy to occur. It is not necessarily needed for a flood or storm to take place to get a water damage, it can happen with so many other things. Your business can have a malfunction with the sprinkler system, toilet backup, broken pipes and plumbing problems and sewer lines can all be causes for a water damage to occur at your business. Fire damages can take place as well and all these damages are common. Do not be afraid and do not freak out because SERVPRO is trained to take care of all these different types of situations for you. Let our business take care of your business because that is what we are here for. Always remember to call SERVPRO at 818-365-3736 for your next water/fire damage at your business. We will make it "Like it never even happened."
SERVPRO is available 24 hours a day for water emergencies, large or small. When you are dealing with water damage, immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
It is really important that you address any water damage issues you are having quickly and thoroughly. Sometimes we think we can handle the situation ourselves but in most cases we need to reach out to restoration companies such as SERVPRO so that they can come and asses the situation. Restoration companies have the proper equipment, tools and trained staff to take care of the problems at hand and discover hidden problems that are not visible to the eye.
So just remember to have SERVPRO on speed dial for all your water, fire and mold needs. They are a very well trained staff and are ready to help you feel "Like it never even happened."
A little over one million home fires happen in a year. It is a very scary and realistic event that can take place at your home. Are you prepared for one? If not, you can contact SERVPRO and we can give you some pointers and handouts on how to prepare yourself and your family if this situation were to ever happen. It is a good idea to always be prepared and to make sure your family is aware of everything as well. Yes it might be a hard topic to talk about with your family members and your children but it is a good idea to have everyone aware of situations like a house fire. The youngest to the oldest should have prior knowledge and know how to react if a house fire strikes. Its never late to be prepared, start this preparation today.
How to handle mold
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home.
What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services
SERVPRO specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 818-365-3736
Be prepared for rainfall
Tarp up and ready for the rain
Do these few tasks to ensure you are in the clear for the next storm:
- Trim the trees. Dead tree limbs can fall on your roof and cause damage, especially when it’s raining or snowing. Trees that are leaning towards your house could also fall on your roof or allow squirrels and raccoons to pay your roof a visit. Twigs, leaves, and other debris can cause rotting, gutter blockage, termite invasion, and roof damage. If you want to make sure you are in the clear make sure you remove anything hanging over your home.
- Check and clean the gutters. One of the best ways to prepare for the cold season is to clean your gutters and ensure they’re well-anchored. This allows all the water to flow off your roof. So remove leaves and other debris from the gutters regularly throughout the fall.
- Inspect the roof for damage:
- Check the roof flashings – these cover gaps near vents and chimneys, and can be dislocated during a storm. Replace faulty flashing pieces.
- If you have an asphalt roof, replace shingles that have bare spots, are warping, or are curling at the edges.
- If you own a wooden shake roof, look for signs of warping. If at least 25 percent of your wood shingles are damaged, replace the roofing material.
- If you have a metal roof, look for signs of pitting, corrosion or gaping seams as these can lead to leaks or underlay damages.
Here at SERVPRO of Van Nuys North we believe in offering our customers a personal approach focused on effective solutions, communication and transparency in our objectives. In an emergency situation, we want you to feel confident knowing that we will take care of the details, allowing you to focus on your business. As a licensed, bonded and insured company, each and every one of our restoration technicians are fully certified and prepared to meet the challenges of your commercial restoration project with quality workmanship.
Commercial Services SERVPRO of Van Nuys North Offers
Water Extraction & Equipment Rental
Fire & Smoke Damage Restoration
Odor Neutralization & Removal
Mold Removal & Remediation
Emergency Structural Stabilization & Board-Up
Interior & Exterior Demolition
Professional Floor & Upholstery Cleaning.
Just to name a few...